Last Updated on November 9, 2021
In the uncertain era of a pandemic, conflicting news and political unrest it’s important that we do what we can to maintain of physical and mental health.
Taking control of our diets and building healthy immune systems is more important now than ever before! Healthy diets prevent chronic disease, obesity and other health concerns that make viruses more deadly.
your immune system and viruses
While we still don’t know exactly why some people have no symptoms and other have symptoms so severe they require hospitalizations we do know that people with other underlying health conditions fair far worse with viral infection.
Health experts speculate that a weakened immune system and increased systemic inflammation could potentially promote viral replication and lead to more prolonged responses to inflammation.
Healthy food and lifestyle choices reduce inflammation, obesity, and chronic disease.
Foods that boost immunity
Eating well and getting regular exercise are the foundation of a healthy body. Many of us are blessed with more time to focus on health, family and home during the lockdowns.
Here are some tips to help boost your immune function:
- Avoid eating processed foods.
- Reduce the simple sugar and carbohydrates in your diet.
- Eat more locally grown vegetables.
- Make sure you get enough protein. Try fo 1/2 your body weight in grams each day.
- Drink less alcohol.
Foods rich in flavonoids have anti-viral properties: Try adding some of these foods daily.
- Green tea: Catechins and epicatechin gallate
- Citrus fruits: Hesperidin
- Spinach, cabbage, dill: Kaempferol
- Olives and olive oil: Oleuropein
- Unrefined virgin coconut oil: Lauric acid
- Dill, onion, oregano, chili pepper, apples, leafy greens, broccoli: Quercetin
These immune-boosting herbs can make meals more delicious.
- Chili pepper, oregano, rosemary, or turmeric.
- Fresh garlic and ginger.
These foods improve the levels of healthy bacteria that live in our guts.
- Burdock root, jicama root
- Dandelion greens, flaxseed
- Kefir, Kimchi
- Miso, Seaweed, Tempeh